Unfair Practices of Debt Collectors
Many different things are considered unfair practices.
For example, here a few things that collectors may not do and are considered unfair practices:
- collect any amount greater than your debt (which is verified by the written statement they are to mail to you to confirm the amount of the debt), unless your state law permits such a charge;
- deposit a post-dated check prematurely;
- use deception to make you accept collect calls or pay for telegrams;
- take or threaten to take your property unless this can be done legally(meaning the debt is secured and tied to an item that can be repossessed);
- threaten to sue, garnish your wages and/or freeze your bank account if they actually have no intention of doing so.