If a judgment has been filed against you because of nonpayment of debt, it is possible that your creditor may garnish your pay check.

This is known as wage garnishment. Wage garnishment is one of the first methods debt collectors will likely go to collect on their debt.  If you have a job and wage garnishment is legal in your state it is the most dependable way for them to get paid. If it goes to wage garnishment, your employer will be notified. They will garnish a percentage of your wages (the maximum varies for state to state, visit your local attorney general to find out how much applies in your state) until the debt is repaid (usually with interest).

You can object to the wage attachment by requesting a court hearing. In some states, the attachment can’t begin until after the hearing, unless you give up your right to a hearing. In most states, however, as long as you have the opportunity to have your objection promptly considered, the attachment can take effect immediately. This means you will receive a notice and have an opportunity to respond then the wage garnishment can take effect. If you have received notice that your wages are going to be garnished or if you are afraid they may be garnished, contact a debt relief law firm for assistance.

Call Us Now to Get Started

(866) 890-7337

What People Have to Say

I just wanted to thank your entire staff at The Law Offices of Leslie H. Tayne, for helping me get out of debt. If it wasn’t for your firm, I would have never been able to resolve my $13k worth of debt in less than 3 years. Your staff did a great job, I was finally able to buy myself a brand new car without using a cosigner. I can’t tell you again how happy I am. I would recommend your services to anyone.

L.C. Client 2007-2009

I sleep like a baby at night now because of the work that you and your office have done. Rest assured that I will refer anyone I know to your office with conditions that are similarly circumstanced.

R.S. Client 2012-2014

You have been very helpful at first directing me in the right direction when I had no clue how to go about handling everything, I really appreciated all your advice and help and hope we can work something out. Thanks again for all your help and kind words, and patience.

D.M. Client 2009-2012

Call Now for a Free Consult
(866) 890-7337