What are Judgments?

If you’ve got unpaid credit card debts, medical bills, and other loan balances in collection, you, unfortunately, may become the target of serious legal action known as a judgment.

Worse than debt collectors, judgments grant creditors access to your money and other assets in an attempt to recoup your unpaid bills.

Tayne Law Group is proficient in resolving judgments in a number of different ways. Our experienced staff can talk to you today about how we can get your judgment or lien thrown out or resolved through settlement.

Before you call us, here is some general information about judgments and how to respond if a creditor takes this legal action against you.

What’s the Legal Definition of a Judgement?

A formal judgment is a type of lien that is attached to a debtor’s real or personal property without their consent. The judgment is intended to pressure a debtor to ultimately transfer money from a debtor to a creditor through a court’s enforcement.

How Do Creditors Obtain Judgments?

A judgment is granted to creditors who have previously sued a client in their county or state courts and then wins a judgment against the debt that is owed. You can get a judgment ruled against you even when you have unsecured debt that isn’t linked to collateral.

What are the Types of Judgment Liens that a Creditor Can Obtain?

There are a few ways that creditors and debt collectors can obtain their unpaid funds through a judgment.

Real Property

If a consumer has a lien as a result of a judgment on their house, condominium, vehicle, or similar kind of real property, during the sale of that real property, the creditor with the judgment will be entitled to a portion of the proceeds.

Garnish Your Wages

Another way a creditor can obtain their uncollected funds is by going directly through a debtor’s employer. A judgment will allow the creditor to collect funds directly from the debtor’s paycheck through the employer until the amount due and owed is satisfied.

Frozen Bank Accounts

A creditor can go directly to a debtor’s bank and freeze or restrain their account. This would cut a debtor off from access to a certain percentage of funds in their account.

Once a bank account is frozen, the creditor can hire a Marshal to either take the monies due and owing out of the account themselves or have the bank send a check to the creditor or the creditor’s attorney from the funds in the account.

There are certain types of monies called exempt funds that cannot be touched after a judgment is entered and a bank account is frozen. Examples of exempt funds include:

Will I Be Notified That My Bank Account Will Be Frozen?

Unfortunately, the creditor will not give a debtor any notice that they will be restraining their bank account.

How Can Your Firm Un-Restrain My Bank Account?

There are a few methods we can do to un-restrain your bank account. These are:

The team at Tayne Law Group, P.C. is here for you. We tailor our solutions to your specific situation and can help you navigate judgments. Call us for a free consultation at 866-890-7337 or fill out our short contact form and we’ll get in touch!

Call Us Now to Get Started

(866) 890-7337

What People Have to Say

I just wanted to thank your entire staff at The Law Offices of Leslie H. Tayne, for helping me get out of debt. If it wasn’t for your firm, I would have never been able to resolve my $13k worth of debt in less than 3 years. Your staff did a great job, I was finally able to buy myself a brand new car without using a cosigner. I can’t tell you again how happy I am. I would recommend your services to anyone.

L.C. Client 2007-2009

I sleep like a baby at night now because of the work that you and your office have done. Rest assured that I will refer anyone I know to your office with conditions that are similarly circumstanced.

R.S. Client 2012-2014

You have been very helpful at first directing me in the right direction when I had no clue how to go about handling everything, I really appreciated all your advice and help and hope we can work something out. Thanks again for all your help and kind words, and patience.

D.M. Client 2009-2012

Call Now for a Free Consult
(866) 890-7337